Be a PASS Leader
Becoming a Peer-Assisted Study Session Leader
Peer-Assisted Study Sessions (PASS)
The Peer-Assisted Study Sessions (PASS) program is going to be offered for select courses in Fall 2017. PASS offers collaborative environments that enable active learning rather than a repeat of the lecture. Sessions are led by students who recently completed the course and who know what it takes to succeed in that class. You’ll learn skills to help you study the current material while also preparing you for future classes.
Sessions are free to all students enrolled in a course for which PASS is offered. All skill levels are welcome, whether you are looking to maintain the grade you have, are trying to improve, or are looking for study strategies.
PASS sessions will be offered twice a week for supported courses. Check back as Fall approaches for a list of these courses!
PASS Leader Job Description
The Peer-assisted Study Session (PASS) program aims to help students gain success skills while studying content specific to a course through a collaborative environment that enables active learning. PASS is free to all students enrolled in a course for which PASS is offered. The study sessions are facilitated by a PASS Leader, a student who was previously successful in that course.
- Attend all lectures for the course to which they are assigned
- Introduce themselves and PASS to the students during class
- Hold two sessions per week, one hour each
- Collect attendance data for each session
- Design and submit detailed plans before each session
- Attend a three-day orientation & training before classes begin
- Attend weekly or bi-weekly training sessions throughout the semester
- Collaborate with the course instructor over content and by providing feedback about students’ difficulties, content-related issues, etc.
Note: PASS Leaders are not teaching assistants. They do not lecture, facilitate class, grade assignments, proctor tests, etc.
Required Qualifications - Prospective PASS Leaders must:
- Have received at least a 3.0 in the course (grades below a 3.0 considered based on other qualifications, evidence of competence with the material, and knowledge of success strategies for the course.)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Be available for approximately 10 hours per week for the full semester, including time attending the class, planning for sessions, facilitating sessions, and attending training
- Attend the pre-semester Orientation & Training program the week before classes begin
- Respect individual differences in students’ backgrounds and prior learning experience
Desired Skills & Characteristics - Prospective PASS Leaders should:
- Be comfortable facilitating groups of students
- Have strong communication skills
- Be knowledgeable about study strategies and success skills
- Have experienced their own academic struggles and challenges
- Be adaptable
- Be willing to learn new techniques and consistently improve their skills
- Be able to work for at least two semesters
We are currently hiring PASS Leaders for the following courses:
- MTH 103
- MTH 124
- MTH 132
Pay starts at $10.00 per hour.
The application includes multiple short-answer/essay questions to assess your academic background and qualifications.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to submit the following documents:
- Letter of Recommendation